Re: Re: TB: Edith Wolford or Jurassic Park

In a message dated 4/2/2005 6:13:20 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

Betty,  you got time to give details on your pot culture?  I might want
to try  that too.

Linda, there aren't that many details. This is one of those pots with a
built in saucer.  Not really self watering but it does hold water.   It's black
plastic.  Now that I think of it, this one may not be quite 17  inches, but it's
Edith was one of those Wal-Mart impulse buys.  When I got home, I had  no
space for it.  Nothing was growing in the pot at that time so I stuck  Edith in
it.  (1998) (old soil and all)  I'd grown Edith before so I  was thrilled to
see it was true to name.  Last year, it was the one that  visitors loved most.
Non-iris people saw her and replied that they  understood my addiction now!
Easy to see why so many people love it.
I must admit I'm not that careful with Edith.   I give her a  shot of Miracle
Grow when I think of it.  As the summer gets going I forget  to water her
more often than not.  Most years I buy some of those small  fertilizer stakes for
her.  I only replace soil when I dig and divide her.  This year, my downfall
may be that I can't throw irises away and the pot is  too crowded.  Tiny
pieces I thought were dead have sprouted and the pot  looks more full than when I
dug last summer!  Most of the time I use Bacto  in my pots . . . a professional
mix.  It's expensive but I never dump  it.   Just recycle.  I can't find
anything else that pleases  me.  I usually mix some fertilizer down in the pot
before I add new soil  and replace the rhizomes.
Edith and Beverly Sills were planted in the garden last year,  also.   Had to
try them one more time!
Still raining HERE!
Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: