Re: CULTURE: Soil Test

Kathleen,
Most of the soil testing kits are not real accurate.  In our extension office, we can only do the salt test, which I would imagine your is the same.  To get the best soil evaluation, a sample can be sent to a soil lab.  They will do a complete evaluation based on what you are growing and make specific recommedations on the results.  We use Ward Laboratories but I am sure there are many other good labs out there.
Birdie
Master Gardener
Colorado

Kathleen Devlin <iris@dancingmeadows.com> wrote:
I purchased a "Soil Master" soil test kit (Mosser Lee brand) to test the soil
in my raised iris beds. Now I'm wondering if this type of test is very
accurate. Perhaps I should have sent a soil sample to the county extension
office instead? Anyway, the results of my test were:

pH--8

Nitrogen--low

Phosphorus--medium

Potassium--high

The booklet that accompanied the kit states that irises prefer pH between 6-8,
and medium levels of Nitrogen, Phophorus, and Potassium.

I am thinking of adding alfalfa meal to the beds in an attempt to increase
Nitrogen levels. Does anyone have any opinions or advice on this? I am
growing bearded iris in these beds. Also, some of the iris are space age.

Kathy
S.E. lower MI
Zone 5b