Re: CULT:HYB:Edith Wolford

In a message dated 4/2/2005 9:45:09 A.M. Central Standard Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

What is  there about the pot culture for EDITH WOLFORD that is
different from the  experience of garden culture?

Neil, I will add to this.  When I lift EDITH from the pot I have to  cut and
hack the roots apart.  It is a solid mass and I could not lift it  as a single
unit.  The bacto (potting soil) comes straight from the bag  with no clay or
other soils added.  It does wear thin, nutritionally, and  compact, over time.
About 1/3 to 1/2 the volume of the pot is added back  each time I dig it.

I would much rather go through this than do without Edith.  She was  shoved
in a corner last year out by the shed.  Now that I'm thinking of  her, I'm
going to give her a more prominent place!  ;-)  I'm thinking  about reclaiming
some other favorites in this manner, Ruffled Ballet for  instance.

The soil composition is totally different in the pot, drainage is good,  both
vertical and horizontal.  But, I left too many rhizomes or eyes in the  pot
and now I'm going to have to dig it again this year!

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6  . . .
Bridge In  Time Iris Garden@website: