<Most of the  time I use Bacto  in my pots . . . a
mix.  It's  expensive but I never dump  it.   Just recycle.>
Betty - Baccto is wonderful stuff, isn't it?  My heavy clay soil suffocates (and stresses - thus leaving them susceptible to soft rot)  many of my iris, and I've finally invested in a Mantis to help me amend, etc.  But a member of our local iris club who's a Master Gardener recommended Baccto (professional, high-density planting mix) to me last August when we thought we had to sell our house.  I potted up half the garden...in Baccto.  It's $7.00/40 lbs. here (I believe it's made here in MI, too), and my Master Gardener friend says when she gets around to planting her potted iris, she adds the Baccto from the pot to the new hole (although if it were expensive here, she probably would not!). Most of my potted iris look just fine (it turns out we didn't have to sell), and now I'm waiting to see how they'll do bloom-wise before replanting them in August.
Speaking of 'pot culture' some of you may remember that it was a potted WORLD PREMIER (for three years!) that won Queen of Show at our local club's show last May!  It was gorgeous!
Linda Bartell
Troy, MI
Region 6, Zone 6a