Re: TB: Edith Wolford or Jurassic Park (or something else)?

  • Subject: Re: [iris] TB: Edith Wolford or Jurassic Park (or something else)?
  • From: "John Reeds" lamegardener@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:45:31 -0800
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 13:45:31 -0800

Edith Wolford never performed well for anyone I know around here (although one
year I remember getting 3 surprisingly nice stalks, most years it never blooms
at all and I never got even one good stalk except for that one year.  Jurassic
Park does well for most people, but Jurassic Park has the same problem most of
the other iris in the "I have one that looks like Edith but grows better"
category have:  it DOESN'T "look like Edith".  Edith has soft YELLOW standards
and light BLUE (or almost-blue) falls.  The rest mostly seem to be dirty
yellow over lavender.  Somehow that clean, Dutch-looking color combination was
so pleasing.  Whatever their merits, that exact combination and clean look has
never been there in the "just like Edith" cultivars I have seen.  Speaking of
which, I have never seen Blyth's "Act Three" except in a catalog.  How close
does it come?

John Reeds
lamegardener@msn.com
San Juan Capistrano, CA zone 9b