Re: TB: Edith Wolford or Jurassic Park (or something else)?

Seems I'm distinctly in the minority in having EW do better than JP!  It is
not a significant difference though, just faster growth, thus more fans,
and thus usually more flower stalks.

I don't know what makes the difference, but here are some things about my
location.  Dry climate, and I mean dry (except this winter it was wet).
Average rainfall is uncertain so far at this location as the history is
short and every year has been different, but it's run 2 to 16 inches for
the entire year so far.  This year we're up to 9 inches already!  Usually
rains come mostly as summer thunderstorms, with some drizzly rains that
last a few days but don't put down very much in some autumns.  It's very
sunny; nights are cool (mostly 60's in summer); days are hot in summer
(usually in the 90's).  Winters are relatively mild but mostly freezing at
night from late November to early March (mostly 20's, but several nights
colder) but (USDA Zone 8a - I think - at the current location) with days
usually in the 50's (but cooler this year).  Last frost is usually in March
or April, and first is usually in November (can't pin it down any closer
than that, as it varies sometimes 5 or 6 weeks from year to year).

I had EW in sand at the previous location (it was colder, hotter, and drier
there), and it did OK, but not exceptionally well.  However, it survived
and flowered for many years (as did JP).  Now both are in granite
clay/gravel with lots of caliche mixed in, almost no organic material.
When it is wet, it is soggy mucky wet, but it dries fast, and most of the
time it is dry.  Clumps of EW are on the northeast, southeast, and
southwest sides of the house, and it does equally well in all locations,
but it seems to flower a bit less on the ne. side - it is a bit cooler
there, and less sunny in winter.  Jurassic park flowers quite well too, but
it grows more slowly.  It never looks quite as spectacular, but the overall
look is similar (here, where I think it flowers paler than in most places).
No noticeable height difference here, and neither is particularly tall, and
average shorter than most of my other TB's (both about 20 to 24 inches),
but then nearly all the Iris flower quite short for me.  I don't get many
broken stalks on either do to wind, where some other cultivars break every
year, and I think the wind is considerably worse here than coastal South
Carolina.  I rarely have broken stalks if the wind is under 60mph; however,
it only takes about 25 or 30 mph to shred some flowers.  Both EW and JP
flowers seem to stand up to wind a bit better than average, but here nearly
ALL Iris flowers get shredded here before they close, almost every year.
It is rare to have a night when the wind isn't howling, especially in the
spring (when it blows in the day too).

Calm today!!!!  And, buds showing on both IB's (they're late) and TB's
(about right).