To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 4:31 PM
Subject: [iris] HYB: Rot and Seedling Selection

I was curious what everybody might think.

While cleaning up the seedlings this year, I noticed one
cross where nearly 50% of the seedlings showed signs of
rot.  It seems to me that the entire cross would likely be
a good candidate to discard based on the poor performance
of the group as a whole.

But I was wondering what the thoughts were on the stronger
sibs.  It seems that they would potentially carry the weak
trait which they could pass on.  Does anyone have any
experience with seedlings whose sibs are poor with respect
to results in subsequent generations?  Just in general, I
know that there will always be exceptions.

Thanks,

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

so happy to be out weeding and cleaning beds at last!

http://www.Care2.com  Free e-mail. 100MB storage.  Helps charities.

Make a Difference: Stop Canada's cruel and senseless baby seal hunt!
http://www.care2.com/go/z/saveseals