Re: RE: Cult: Fertilization

Hi Jan-

When I make a new bed, dig/replant, I always add manure to my soil.  Where I live (in the foothills of the Sierra's) we have clay soil.  I normally use aged horse manure.  I 'till it in with a "regular" tiller, with alfalfa pellets, and 15-15-15.  I then use my Mantis tiller to make the rows, and grind up the mixture.  I have done this for over 10 years and never had rot or growth problems. Although, I am at a different climate than you. (Yes, I do get rot, but about 1-4 rhizomes a year.  I have about 650 varieties currently)  For all of you wondering, I do not use 15-15-15 on established beds, they are fertilized with 6-20-20.  I also try to not plant any irises in the new beds for about 4 weeks after I make the rows.

One thing to remember, is the manure should always be well mixed into the soil.  Large clumps of manure on the rhizome will cause rot.  Most of my rhizomes that rotted this year was caused by me.  The 7 inches of rain that fell in 3 days, 2 or 3 weeks ago did not help.

Anthony Peruzzi, RVT

Cedaridge Iris Gardens, Forest Ranch, CA, Zone 9