Re: first bloom

Wish I had kept track of all my dwarf Iris, but I didn't record where I
planted what years ago (they are naturalized, basically).  Anyway, at home
a pale yellow I. pumila (maybe I can find the cultivar name) and I. pumila
'Cyanea' were in full flower late last week, pretty much done now, but
today I found several SDB's open (all damaged by a freeze night before last
and wind, but open nonetheless).  The ones that were open looked better two
days ago.  Also this morning is the first 'Albicans' wide open and in its
second day (was opening during the freeze - hit 19F), and not bothered too
much by the cold.  Some first flowers of 'Rare Edition' were showing color
this morning, as was an unidentified bale blue self IB (maybe it is a large
SDB?).  I. reichenbachii with yellow flowers was in great form two days
ago, but the flowers open this morning were a bit blasted by the wind and
frost.  Even so, it looked good with about 25 flowers open on two clumps
and lots of buds left undamaged.   This morning I found a flower of
'Eleanor Roosevelt' hiding out in the brush that looked like it had tried
to open a couple weeks ago and got turned to flower jerky on the stalk
(cold or wind, or maybe both?).

Here at the botanic garden there is an I. germanica starting to open
flowers, and I. reichenbachii is blooming.  I. pumila 'Lesser Goldfinch'
finished last week.  Haven't looked today yet, there may be a few more
things open.  An I pallida (unknown tall "pink") in a sheltered place has
stalks about 16 inches tall, and I see other TB's around town that are
getting close to showing color.

Iris season is here!  Hope the frost night before last was the last one for
the season.  Sort of late for frost, but not unheard of.  Luckily, things
are behind this year, so not much was damaged.  A not so cold but longer
lasting freeze the same weekend last year took out my entire (remaining) IB
flower crop (the dwarves were done) and some of the early TB's.  That was
after 8 running hours of hail pounding the weekend before - this year is
looking much better - so far.