CULT: Best plant in the Garden

After my first fascination with modern bearded irises, 22 years ago, the
last thing I would have thought you would catch me doing was growing a 60
year old iris introduction.  However, 3 yrs ago, I decided that I wanted to
see what a couple of older cultivars looked like for real and if and how
they would grow for me.  So, as part of a larger order, I purchased GREAT
LAKES and SNOW FLURRY.  To my surprise, SNOW FLURRY bloomed and grew well
enough and continues so.  GREAT LAKES, on the other hand, has taken over its
garden spot and has some of the healthiest, greenest foliage I see, and
seems to be the most productive plant in the garden.

After all these years, my interest in historics has finally been kindled.
It's a crying shame that few current introductions grow and bloom with such
abandon.... hmmmm.. Now how many generations Linda Mann did you predict that
it would take to bring Iris Pallida into modern form?  *grin*

Soooo, with many folks barely into bloom season, what is your favorite
historic and why?

Btw, SDB seedlings began blooming on Saturday and stalks are popping like
popcorn!  Will the season be early, on time, or late...  How with the very
steady rise in temps with no lows and no highs much above dead average can
things look to be early?  Flowering shrubs and daffodils were late.

As always, iris growing is never dull or boring.

Gary Sides
Nashville, TN zone 6a on a south facing protected city slope.