mutant iris

Hi all,

I have the most bizarre iris blooming in my yard.  It is a true mutant I
guess.  It is with my "Private Dance" which is blooming profusely right now.
But there are two plants that have very strange blooms.  I don't ever
remember seeing seed pods so I don't think Private Dancer crossed with
anything.  The blooms on these two plants are the same color as the Private
Dancer but very small and mutated.  Some are just the "cartilage" part of
the falls, no soft petal, no ruffles, same with the standards.  Some of the
blooms look like they would be a small, simple, very old looking iris.  No
ruffles.  I may have to take a picture to show you.  I'm guessing that these
plants need to be pulled up because they will never produce a pretty flower.
What causes this.

Linda Harrington

Midland Tx

Zone 8