Re: HIST: CULT: HYB: Best plant in the Garden

Gary, are you interested in making crosses with tough oldies or are you
building a collection?

Like somebody said, sure would be nice to have something modern with
INDIAN CHIEF enthusiasm!  Maybe start with a cross between WEARING

Like modern cultivars, historic cultivars have parts of the country &
garden conditions where they do well & others where they don't.  In my
garden, WABASH doesn't snake around & is upright, like VICTORIA FALLS

SHAH JEHAN is another one that does well for me, and, like Anner, I
think it is absolutely gorgeous.  Interesting bee baby from it last
year, with a red wash on the falls in HONKY TONK BLUES (which won't live
here) pattern.

Every spring, I plan to drive around begging starts of all the old
historics that thrive in local gardens to try to ID, and am always too
exhausted from enjoying my own.

Currently, there are several tough ol grannies here that I'm trying to
ID, plus I discarded two older unidentified but tough whites.

The current unknown favorites are a variegata, probably from the 50s or
60s; a super reliable after freezes red-black (probably 50s); a very
late bitone bronze (60s or 70s); and an older (40s?) large flowered
bronze that produced two (so far) nice gold rebloomer seedlings in cross

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8