So far, my list is about 40 long.  I'm trying to whittle it down, but I'm
not good a picking favorites.  Tend to like what is blooming now best.
Right now the various I. germanica, some of the old IB's etc. are in full
bloom, and they are still all marvels, even if they are "old" and "old
fashioned".   I was out today comparing flowers of 'Albicans',
'Florentina', and germanica 'Alba', and they are all three similar, but
they are really easy to tell apart once you see them.  Next to other
germanica and near germanica such as 'Susa', 'Eleanor Roosevelt', Crimson
King, two different clones of germanica, and 'Golden Cataract' (fairly
certain recent identification), it's quite a nice little display here at
the botanic garden in Albuquerque.

On the species front the "common" yellow clone of I. reichenbachii is in
full flower and impressive right now.  Not sure if a wild species
qualifies as historic, but it's very much a favorite right now - long done
at home though.  Funny because the germanicas and old IB's are ahead of my
yard here at the garden, by a day or two - go figure.

I'm going to think about it some, and maybe I can declare a favorite, but
I doubt it.  I'll throw one out that always gets my attention when it
flowers, and while I don't know it's date of introduction, it is surely
historic by a fair margin (?).  That is the best old pink I know - 'One
Desire', which I discovered thanks to this group.  It's not blooming yet
here though.  It's a strong healthy plant, and flowers well.  There's
another mostly pink I like a whole lot, but I'm blanking on the name right

'Purissima' is starting bloom in a yard nearby now with a swarm of
'Crimson King' at its peak, and the contrast in color, bloom size, and
height is actually pretty nice.  'Purissima' is another "top of the list"