From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Linda
Bartell
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 12:28 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] CULT: Overwintering in pots

<Linda, I read your comments about potting while reconditioning your
soil with
great interest.>

Neil - It's the strangest thing...some of those I thought I'd lost (like
THORNBIRD) hardened up and are now sending up little fans.  Fortunately I
had some THORNBORD left in the garden, so if I had lost the one in the pot,
I wouldn't have been upset.  Several others also have hardened up, which is
was a pleasant surprise!  And you're right - some cvs are just
tougher/hardier/better survivors.

I lost maybe 15 -20 out of probably between 75-100...not bad odds
considering the bitter winter with several thaws (and most of those I lost
were potted late).  Then the potted irises had no snow for protection for
awhile after the thaws when the weather got bitter again - only more Baccto
as mulch and their position against the south side of the house.

Linda ;-)
http://mail.yahoo.com