CULT: Overwintering in pots

I had several irises I nearly lost, plus one import from Tempo Two that went
into pots last year.  They have gone through the seasons here much healthier
than some of those in the garden.  I planted the rhizomes completely on top of
the mix, roots down into the soil, then filled with sand up to the top of the
rhizomes.  The plants look very healthy.

My soil is badly in need of modification--far too high a percentage of acid
clay and parent material rock, little organics, slow drainage.

Originally I was planting on ridges, but that didn't work so well last summer
with the three Hurricane remnants coming through with pounding rain in fair to
middlin' quantity in short order.  The soil on the ridges washed off.

Those planted in no-ridges, sloping bed fared better, but I've lost a couple
that may not be well adapted here.  Luminatas and zonals are new to me, and
the losses are all but one of this nature.  Getting things acclimated here in
transplants from Pacific coast to mountain continental, even though almost as
far south as Santa Barbara, sometimes take a year or so to settle down.

I was thinking of some pot culture on a few in a controlled soil--open
texture, lots of lime, organics and good aeration--would give those more
susceptible ones time to adapt.  The sand surface layer gives rapid drainage
away from the rhizome area, but allows the roots to go directly into a
fertile, nutrient rich medium.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains.