CULT: Soil in CA and OR

Greetings.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions which I fully understand are a request
for oversimplified information. I am just trying to enhance my most general
understanding of some issues I am investigating. Then, if it seems appropriate I
will delve deeper in appropriate directions.

First: Broadly speaking, from a horticultural standpoint, what is the nature
of the soil in the area of Campbell, CA, which on maps appears to be in Santa
Clara County in an area of comparatively high elevation? I'd be very
interested to know the likely range of pH in the area, whether the soil is clay, or
silt or limestone derived or stony or mostly sand or bakes to bricks in the
summer, or that sort of thing. Do the conditions vary much in that area? Also, what
is the climate like for gardening, particularly as regards the conditions at
the first onset of spring, temperatures in winter, and, most importantly, the
amount of precipitation in the summer months?

Secondly, is there anyone here who can comment on the general range of soil
pH in the Portland OR area, especially the areas about 10-20 miles south of
Portland near the river? Does pH vary a lot across that part of the valley? What
sort of dirt are we talking about in that area? Here again I am seeking
horticultural generalities.

Please feel free to respond privately if you prefer.

I thank you.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA