Re: CULT: Soil in CA and OR

Anner,
   I currently reside in the city next to Campbell CA (Los Gatos) and
have gardened at several sites in the area. Campbell is a relatively
flat area just off the Santa Cruz Mtns (peak elevation 1000ft.), the
entire "silicon valley area" has a similar climate, with the degree of
ocean influence moderation determining whether you are zone 9a or 9b.
We get some ocean influence all year so even though the days can reach
the 90-100's for weeks at a time in summer it generally cools down each
evening. Winters are quite mild, frosts infrequent with temps rarely
reaching freezing, and all time lows just in the high 20's. All of our
rainfall comes between September and May, with the bulk from November
to March. Soils tend to be claylike, but not adobe clay as in other
areas, with considerable grit and stones as the area is part of an
ancient flood plane ( a stream runs through the center of the area). In
the recent past, commercially fruit tree's, primarily plums and
apricots were grown in this area. Soil tests usually show a need for
Nitrogen (due to the heavy winter rainfall, and little summer plant
growth) but plenty of P and K. Soil PH in my yard is 6.5 to 6.7. The
trees are primarily Native evergreen Oaks, whose leaves tend toward the
acid side.  Our water tends to be alkaline. Mainly gardeners here need
to add compost to the soil. Iris do very well here as you might
imagine. Peonies are rare - not enough chill hours. Summers are too
long and hot for delphiniums etc. (we grow them as annuals)

Iris Hybridizer Bryce Williamson lives in the Campbell area, and Bill
Maryott formerly ran his operation just a few miles from Campbell in NW
San Jose.

Sincerly,
Chad Schroter