Re: Re: CULT: Soil in CA and OR

In a message dated 4/21/05 2:05:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chadschroter@yahoo.com writes:

<<   I currently reside in the city next to Campbell CA (Los Gatos) and
 have gardened at several sites in the area. [. . . .]>>

Thank you for all the truly prime information, Chad; that is better than I
dared hope for. There is just nothing like hearing it from someone who knows the
real dirt, as it were.

As I have mentioned in this forum before, I'm doing some research on Iris
persica, a little Juno, which has a long, interesting, and somewhat mysterious
horticultural history in this country. Among the several who sold Iris persica
in the USA in the period between the World Wars was a bulb nurseryman named
Gordon Ainsley, in Campbell, California. I think Ainsley, who was an expert
bulbsman, a grower of rare and exotic things, and a charter member and officer of
the International Bulb Society, probably grew his stock himself. So, you see, I
wanted to form some general idea of his working conditions.

Ainsley had a remarkable list of Irises for sale. I'm looking at a copy of
his Spring 1928 catalog which contains a wide selection of named Spanish,
English and Dutch Iris bulbs.Also: persica, reticulata, hermodactylus, susiana,
Hoogiana, Evansias and other Chinese species, "Palestine Hybrid" Irises, some
spurias, five forms of unguicularis, Japanese Irises, a few Siberians, a whole
slew of American natives from various parts of the country, and an interesting
but not extensive list of  bearded stuff, which includes rather more varieties
with heavy I. variegata in them than I'd have expected, given the climate, viz.
'Honorabile', 'Virginia Moore','Sherwin-Wright', and so on.

Thank you again, Chad. I appreciate your help.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA