Re: CULT: Duration of RoundUp damage?

Well, freeze damage is definitely not a possibility -
we've had one hard freeze in the 20 years I've been
living here :-) I think the lowest temp we had this
past winter was in the upper 30s.

We did have some serious temp fluctuation earlier
in the spring - last month, after a winter full of
rain and 50-60 degree temps, we had a sudden brief spell
of warm dry weather, reaching the upper 80s on one day.
Could that have cause RoundUp-like damage?

The mystery deepens - I noticed another bud with
similar, though less severe, damage today.
It's in a completely different part of the yard,
and again there are flowers nearby with no problems.
Also, this one isn't a recent acquisition - I did dig
and divide it this past summer, though.

I'll try to take pictures this weekend and post them on

Is there any chance this could be caused by soaking rhizomes
too long in a bleach bath? I do a soak in a 10% bleach solution
as part of my digging & replanting protocol, but I usually don't let them soak
longer than 15-20 minutes. That would seem to be the only common factor
between the two plants, other than possible weather effects.

freeze-free SF bay area, zone 9

Robin Shadlow wrote:

A few years ago I saw what I was certain was Roundup damage at a state park
that our club gardens at.  We have asked the rangers repeatedly, and I
believed them that they did not use Roundup.  I have also seen photos from
freeze damage that looked the same as the Roundup damage I have seen photos

Have you had some wildly fluctuating temps back when the stalks were just
setting on?

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE

where extreme anticipation is the order of the day.  The seedlings are
throwing stalks up by the hundred now!!