When I first started pollen daubing, (many years ago) I was given a lot of
free advice.  Mainly because I asked for it!  <bg>
I was told . . . many iris qualities will vary depending on the year and  the
BUT . . . branching rarely changes.  Either it is good or it  isn't!  (said
the expert!)
This year has given the lie to that statement!  Not all, but many,  stalks
are being distorted.  If our show was tomorrow, I'd be hard put to  find a show
bench stalk.  Extended heat with no rain has created varying  scenarios.  Some
have grown tall and spindly with strange branching,  some are blooming short,
while a select few are coming through with nearly  normal stalks!
This is going to complicate seedling selection.  Guess I'll just have  to
judge on other qualities this year . . . plant vigor, pretty faces,  etc.!   The
branching will have to be determined as  reselects.
There was rain, a good inch, and, now, the cold temperatures.   Hope this
strong wind continues so I don't get the freeze.  I'd planned to  work in the
garden today, but I can barely stand up out there!!  My body  thanks you, mother

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: