The "factoid" by a "non-expert" suggests Bill is underestimating the value of
his observations.  I've not run into anyone who watches and remembers quite
like you do, Bill.

Late cold....we've been up to almost 800, had more than a month frost free,
and this morning it was down to 280 and snowing.  Tomorrow's forecast says
310.  I have no idea what damage is done.  One TB is showing color, the SDB's
are getting into full swing, and many bloomstalks have reached more than half
their final height.

In Idaho 280--and even on one occasion, 220, occured when the TB's were in
full display.  By two days later one could hardly tell it had frozen.

North Carolina is different.  I will be most interested to see what got hurt,
what didn't.  My daughter in TN asked if she should cover hers--she has TB's
with many in full flower.  I told her just to leave them alone, especially
don't touch them while they are frozen or while in early recovery.  Cells have
an amazing capacity to heal, I've observed.  At least that was true in Idaho.
It may not be here.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 Reg 4 western NC mountains