HYB: request - glaciata photo?

Linda Mann asked, "Neil, have you run away from home yet?"

Neil responds:

If Iris were the only thing in my life I might as well.  Twenty-eight degrees
last night, twenty-six forecast for tonight.  The high wind gusts last night
and the snow this morning make me want to move farther south.  I'll trade fire
ants for borers and frost (I might not think so if I get stung a few times).

I'd rather be in Oregon, at least some parts of it.

There are other parts of it where sub-freezing temps even occur in July, such
as in Burns, OR, between the Snake River and the Deschutes 300 miles away.
One goes through a village of 1500, another of 52, two others of populations
of 3 and 2 respectively, and one area with about 8000 people, thanks to a
sawmill.  That's it for U.S. 26 between Ontario and Bend.  I joke--Idaho and
parts of Oregon have signs when you come into town.  The big number is the
elevation, the little one is the population.  Wyoming is like that too.

The wind snapped a number of stalks in the seedlings that should have bloomed
last year, and some of them aren't even 4" tall YET.  It couldn't possibly be
that they haven't had a sprinkle of lime or fertilizer in three years, or that
the soil is in its fifth year of continuous iris occupancy....

Anything with bloom open turned glassy then limp rags.  Even most bloomstalks
look scalded in spots.  Some of that damage will heal, some will not.....

What a week!  The death, Mass of Christian Burial for John Paul II, and today
the Inauguration of Cardinal Ratzinger as Benedict XVI--it has been an
exhilarating time in the life of the Western branch of the Christian Churches.
It looked like a sampling of the whole world was there.

As a student of theological thought and a person whose instincts have been
future-oriented for all of his life, I can say these two men--John Paul II and
Benedict XVI stand very tall indeed in European thought as well as history.
Our grandchildren will be amazed.  "Were you ALIVE then?"

It made up for the snow and blowing cold.  I went outside once to do a quick
inventory.  There're still stalks forming deep in fans, so perhaps, just
perhaps....then, there's always next year.

Reminds me of a time I stood with Opal Brown watching a driving hail storm
come down in Milton-Freewater right in the peak of TB bloom.  She never even
batted an eye lash.  "Well, that's it for this year," she said, and then
turned and invited us into the house.  If she could do it, so can I.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4, western NC mountains