RE: HYB: Proposed EML&RE study

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Proposed EML&RE study
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:50:06 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:50:06 -0500

Some time back, there was a thread of the most important things we all look
for in bearded iris.  For me, the single most important factor is the number
of days a cultivar shows open bloom under my growing conditions.

If any of you are interested, I propose that we keep track this year of the
actual number of days (spring and other) that our longest-blooming ones show
open.  Then we could compile a list of the most free-flowering as a reference.
This would be a quantitative study, eliminating personal preferences.

Most reluctance to grow iris that I've heard is that they "only bloom a short
time in the spring, then don't look good all summer".  People want plants in
their yard that bloom all summer.  A great example of this is that the daylily
Stella De Oro is in almost everybody's yard around here.  Fiddling little
thing, plain yellow, but just keeps going and going.

When I'm finding new homes for my babies, the first that find homes are the
ones I can tout as blooming over 60 days for me.

You would only need to keep track of the ones that bloom longest for you.
Reports could be made late November, after rebloom reports. I'd be glad to
compile the list by region.

Any interest?  suggestions?  volunteers?

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5 - @ 40  dahlia seedlings under glass jars.