RE: HYB: EML&RE study proposal

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: EML&RE study proposal
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:20:47 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:20:47 -0500

I was thinking of keeping it really simple , like:

Sugar Blues 5/11-5/28, 6/24-7/7, 9/15-11/2
                18          +     14      +    49     =  81 days  (my actual
for this one in 04)

from first day open to last day open for each round of bloom.  Only open
blooms count, regardless of frost damage.  Plants must be in the ground,
outside.  No "extraordinary measures" frost protection.  I think that's
important because I have a few (Amain comes to mind) that seem almost
impervious to frost.

Now, we all have special cases.  I don't have more than a decent-sized clump
of any cultivar, but if I had 100 blooming-sized rhizomes of something and an
old stalk spit out one more bloom a week after the whole thing was done, I
wouldn't count that.  Conversely, ones like Immortality that, at least here,
will sometimes sit a week or more with half-spent stalks waiting for a cool
spell or a rain to pop them open, shouldn't get counted on days they are not
showing open.  Keeping track of it could be involved.  Then, too, I noticed
last fall that I was getting later rebloom on portions of clumps I had reset
than on the rest of the (undisturbed) clump.  My inclination would be to count
all of that rebloom.

So, I was thinking that, if I could just get the name, type if other than TB,
and actual dates, as above for Sugar Blues, I could do the math and get lists
by region of the longest blooming.  Significant weather factors could be
included as footnotes, likewise sporadic blooming of large population samples,
or anything else noteworthy.

This, however, is just what I was thinking.  I know just enough to realize how
little I know, and have a lifetime of training as a team player, so I'm
entirely willing to defer to the wisdom of the majority.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis