HYB: watching the newbies bloom

Mostly junk on the seedling bloom here, this year.  I have three seedling beds
from which I will save a total of three seedlings, and junk the rest (after 2
years of blooming).  Most of my best crosses are in pots, as I have run out of
planting space.  Lots of things out of Louisa's Song.  A self cross of LS has
had two messy-colored things bloom so far; they were also stunted (the pot may
have something to do with that).  A couple of broken color x fancy plicata
crosses have given no BC seedlings, but the poor form typical of the BC lines
does dominate.  A Night Ruler x Louisa's Song cross had a strong stalk and
attractive deep purple flowers.  Not as ruffled as Louisa's Song, but very
nice for the color class.  Tuscan Villa x Secret Service had two impressive
stalks, but the color and form are both inferior to TV.

A neighbor loves the tall, smoky, gray plum-purple bitone out of Decadence x
Rippling River.  Again, the form/ruffling is nice though not as nice as its
parents.  The color is unusual, and the fall edges show an interesting veined
pattern (particularly on mature flowers).  One negative to the form (my
opinion, some people prefer it) is that the falls are more downwards-pointing
than flaring or arched.  Worth a second look, anyway.

I had one Spouting Horn x Louisa's Song seedling sprout; I now wonder if that
cross was a bee pod.  Yechhh!  One of my goals was to obtain a Louisa's Song
pattern and flower quality on a TRUE blue iris.  I am wondering if this is a
longer journey than I had thought.  The pattern on Louisa's Song, a
lavender/purple bitone, is actually derived from from a lavender base with a
rose-purple (?) overlay on the fallls.  Thus the lighter fall edges (matching
the standards) where the overlay disappears.  This overlay pigment MAY NOT
COME IN TRUE BLUE TONES!  Using a blue self may not work; I may need to use a
standard blue bitone (none of which have a ruffled form "worthy" of LS).  I
may also start playing with light pastels crossed with LS just for fun (I wish
Crystal Dreams was a dependable bloomer).

John Reeds
San Juan Capistrano, CA zone 9b, IN FULL BLOOM!!!!!!!