Re: Cranapple germination

I have Cranapple here in Northeastern Michigan, and it did not take last year when I tried to use it as either a pollen or pod parent.  I will keep trying, though!
Region 6
Zone 4.5
Hillman, Michigan

jgcrump <jgcrump@erols.com> wrote:
This has been a poor germination year. While a few plantings achieved better
than 80%, the overall rate seems to be well below 50%. Among the utter "no
show"s are two crosses with CRANAPPLE as the parent. Each pod had yielded 10
seeds. Not a single seed germinated. Last year, with an overall germination
rate of 68%, a cross with CRANAPPLE as parent produced 43 seeds, of which only
2 germinated. In the Register, I don't find CRANAPPLE listed as a parent.
I'll probably have another go at it this year, but does anyone else have
experience with or knowledge of CRANAPPLE's germination propensities? --

zone 7 in Virginia