Re: Deep Planting

Hello everyone,

Sandra, I think I am coming around to agreeing wholeheartedly with your stance about TBs and cold climates. Since I started 'talking' to you on the e-mail groups, I have only been planting the TBs in July. Any that were received later than that went into pots and were grown inside for the winter and then planted out in spring. My survival rate has increased significantly. On the other hand, medians and MDBs show very little winter survival issues when planted for cold climates even to late August. What I have done the past few years with them is to add about an inch of top soil on top of them in fall and then carefully remove the excess dirt early in spring just about the time I see new growth starting. There has been very little by way of spring rot or heaving with this method and no decline in the amount of bloom. And, of all the newly planted medians last summer (about 75 or so at three different garden locations), I have only completely lost one single SDB rhizome. Of course it was the one I wanted the most but it shouldn't be too hard to replace it. Everything else survived well. I am very pleased.