Re: CULT: Best plant in the Garden

Was looking back at this thread, and there are some good recommendations
there.  There was mention of 'Shah Jehan', which I am getting to like a
lot.  I still can't come up with an absolute favorite, but 'Shah Jehan'
brings one class of several to mind, and another comes to mind with the
potted 'Kupari' sitting here making my office smell like a grape soda
factory.

First there is this group of smaller, usually bicolored, tetraploid
hybrids that are great.  The ones that dome to mind right now include
'Wabash', 'Bright Hour', 'Shah Jehan', 'Louvois', 'Madame Maurice
Lassailly', and 'Amigo', but there are others.  'Mildred Presby' seems
similar too, but I've only flowered it once, and it's supposed to be
diploid.  These are tough strong growers that flower like crazy, and
usually get everyone's attention.  They are not so big as more modern
TB's, in fact they border on being MTB's (I suspect they have a lot of I.
variegata in their ancestry?), but I like them a lot.

The other is the grape scented group.  There are several, but the ones I
know best are all I. pallida types.  Most of the "blue" pallidas are
strong in the grape department, and I now find that the white 'Kupari' is
exceptionally nice {and potent} too.  Some of the better scented I.
pallida include 'Dalmatica', 'Odoratissima', 'Floridor' and 'Kupari'. This
is a smell that carries in the yard, and is wonderful.  A planting of a
bunch of assorted I. pallida types here at the Rio Grande Botanic Garden
gets people following their noses as soon as they enter the garden.  This
year the bloom is rather poor, but last year it was great.  Even with the
poor bloom this year, it is enough to notice from a bit of a distance when
the air is calm.

Dave