Re: AIS: St. Louis Convention/recording

Pat. I would like to address the taping of programs as a speaker. I am giving the presentation at the Convention for SIGNA. When I speak to various groups, I like to tailor the presentation to the group. At convention I will be giving a Powerpoint presentation. It will be edited severely, since I will only have about 40 minutes for the presentation. When I speak to groups, I often do twice that with a break in between. I enjoy giving programs and I have mixed feelings about selling my presentations on disk for fear that I may not be invited to do them in person. The SIGNA slide chairman is working on creating some presentations on disk for sale to clubs and groups. But there is a big difference between presentations given before a group and those designed for classroom use or for individual use. Each needs to be done in particular ways for best results. I have tried to get groups to work on recorded programs in the past with little success, so I am sympathetic to the idea. But unless
 it is done well, it is possibly not worth doing.

Patricia Wenham <h.schinkep@verizon.net> wrote:I heartily agree with Arnold. Many of the AIS members are elderly and
unable to travel &/or walk about easily as well as not being able to
afford to grow iris if they attend conventions. We are a society that
is dedicated to promoting iris and what better way than to make
reasonably priced recordings available to those who want them. I would
suggest that the web site address for AIS be added to the video or disk
so recipients can contact them for further information if they wish.
The members who recieve them can use them to give programs at schools
and other organizations. This would enable parents with young children
to learn about iris and perhaps swell the ranks of younger members in
the society and local clubs. I can see all sorts of possibilities if
there were digital or video recordings available at reasonable prices.
I would use them as tuck in gifts for friends and relatives who live in
other states and give them a gift certificate for some iris as well.
Our genealogy society has had requests for presentations to clubs so
several of us have developed a program that we can present to promote
the society and it always results in new members for the society. We
are doing power point programs which are very well received too.

Patti who will be unable to attend the convention this year.