To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 7:51 PM
Subject: [iris] AIS: New AISeRobins Mailing List

Greetings.

In the course of a conversation initiated here by Ellen Gallagher on 4/20
about the new AISeRobins list at Yahoo, I asked several questions to which I
have not received a response. I know for a fact that I am not the only one
interested in having more information along these lines, so I shall reiterate the
questions.

Perhaps it would be helpful for those unfamiliar with the general subject it
I mention that the AIS has for years, decades even, had a Round Robin program.
In this program a group of correspondents send a conventional letter --a
"Round Robin"-- around the group in a set sequence, each member contributing
something then setting the letter in flight to the next member. Members often have
a common interest about which they want to share ideas, like historic irises,
or hybridizing or Medians or whatever, and often a group will focus on these,
but there have been general interest groups, too. A group is itself often
called a Robin.

So, to reiterate my questions about this new program:

The name of this Yahoo group is AISeRobins. This sounds plural. Will there be
more than one AIS Electronic Robin? In what areas of interest? Or are you
using the word Robin to refer to the Round Robin group members themselves?

Since the new AISeRobins group is apparently already up and running, will you
please give us a rundown on its goals and policies?

Is current AIS membership required to be a member of this group? If not,
practically speaking, what is the distinction between "AISeRobins," and, for
instance, this mailing list?

Who is the actual owner of the Yahoo AISeRobins group?

And what does AIS say to alleviate the concerns of AIS members who might wish
to participate in this new AIS program but who have reservations aboutYahoo's
policies generally?

Thank you very much.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead