Re: TB: Rot Question

In a message dated 4/3/2006 9:31:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
apetala2@yahoo.com writes:

All my  irises (both those w/ symptoms and w/o) started
to grow early this February  because of the mild winter
weather. Then, we had very cold, below normal  weather
for the rest of February and much of March. I suspect
that may  have to do with the problem, but I am not
sure. I have irises w/ symptoms  and w/o in the same
beds, so it's not an obviously  location-centric
problem.

It sounds like the sharp weather variations caused the rot.  I am  surprised
you had that much growth in February.  Here in northern Ohio we  had the same
temperature swings, but didn't really see active growth.  We  have found one
iris that apparently tried to send up a bloom stalk in late fall  which rotted.
 The rest of the plant seems OK after we clean out the  blasted stalk.  If
your varieties were newly planted in 2005, they may  not have become well
established before winter.  Also, some varieties are  just more suseptable to rot,
especially those originated in hot, dry  climates.  Some type of winter mulch,
such as evergreen branches, helps  minimize the affects of temperature swings.

Dorothy Willott