  From: Matthew Booker
  To: iris@hort.net
  Cc: apetala2@yahoo.com
  Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 6:26 AM
  Subject: [iris] TB: Rot Question

  I am a new iris-grower, and I planted about 40 or so
  varieties in my garden late last summer. This spring,
  I noticed that the following are either dead or dying:

  Mother's Little Helper
  Banana Frappe

  They all have the same symptoms. They had started to
  put out shoots, then the main shoot/fan whithered and
  then the side shoots/fans started die usually browning
  at the base first and then dying. If I gently press on
  the top of the rhizome, I can feel that it's soft.
  Irises that do not have these symptoms feel firm. I
  haven't detected any smell, but they're clearly have

  All my irises (both those w/ symptoms and w/o) started
  to grow early this February because of the mild winter
  weather. Then, we had very cold, below normal weather
  for the rest of February and much of March. I suspect
  that may have to do with the problem, but I am not
  sure. I have irises w/ symptoms and w/o in the same
  beds, so it's not an obviously location-centric

  Any thoughts/ideas/advice?

  Eastern Mass, Zone 6

  message text UNSUBSCRIBE IRIS