TB: Cult: Branching and bud count

I believe Linda Mann wrote several days ago that it was easy for her to
get seedlings with good branching and bud count.  That is my greatest
difficulty.  Right now I have a number of rebloomers at the height of
what I believe is their main bloom which have good branching and bud
count.  However the once bloomers, that are just starting, are very poor
at both.  Even the regular irises are starting with only four or five
buds per stalk.  Pink Champagne which usually has seven to eight buds
now will have only five.  Second bloom seedlings that had good bud
counts last year are woefully disappointing me.  I don't want to toss
them if it is a condition of our weather which is affecting everything.
Nether do I have room to keep a lot of low budded seedlings.  What shall
I do?
Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9