TB: Rot Question

I'd like to thank everyone who gave me advice on my rot problem. I've gone ahead and scooped out the rotted portions for 3 of the 5 varieties with the problem. I used a bleach dilution on the spoon that I used. Unfortunately, Fogbound & Banana Frappe are beyond hope - there's no good tissue left. I will report if the others survive.

Eastern Mass, Zone 6

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [iris] TB: Rot Question
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 06:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matthew Booker <apetala2@yahoo.com>
To: iris@hort.net
CC: apetala2@yahoo.com

I am a new iris-grower, and I planted about 40 or so
varieties in my garden late last summer. This spring,
I noticed that the following are either dead or dying:

Mother's Little Helper
Banana Frappe

They all have the same symptoms. They had started to
put out shoots, then the main shoot/fan whithered and
then the side shoots/fans started die usually browning
at the base first and then dying. If I gently press on
the top of the rhizome, I can feel that it's soft.
Irises that do not have these symptoms feel firm. I
haven't detected any smell, but they're clearly have

All my irises (both those w/ symptoms and w/o) started
to grow early this February because of the mild winter
weather. Then, we had very cold, below normal weather
for the rest of February and much of March. I suspect
that may have to do with the problem, but I am not
sure. I have irises w/ symptoms and w/o in the same
beds, so it's not an obviously location-centric

Any thoughts/ideas/advice?

Eastern Mass, Zone 6