Re: TB: Rot Question

Hello,

I purchased TB Irises from 3 different iris nurseries. I actually lost 6 irises, but the 6th one had different symptoms and was a freebie anyway, so I wasn't too upset.

I currently have 3 iris beds. Of the 5, 4 were in one bed and the remaining one was in a different one. All my beds are new since we bought this house in May of 2004. Most of the irises are not mixed with other plants.

I'll have to do a more thorough check about which ones have survived. I'll post that later - It's raining outside right now.

-Matt
Eastern Mass
Zone 6

Char Randall wrote:
Matt,
I am curious about the ones still alive. Did all 40 iris come from the same
provider? Was this a new bed, an established bed you've redone, or were they
intermixed with other established iris or plants? I'd like to hear about
which iris have survived, could you post those names? All in all, if you
have lost 5 out of 40 new iris, that may not be too bad. Some years are much
worse than others. My rot does seem to be teamed with slow growth and/or
cold damp conditions and it hits the most stressed iris the hardest.

Good luck on the rot treatments. Hopefully you will get many opinions and
suggestions and something might work for you. Rot in my garden seems kind of
like a common cold; not real sure what causes it, where it came from, how to
treat it, or when it will go away. Iris do get rotty, it spreads and
eventually they grow through it or die. Fungicides and clean up do help.

Good Luck. Enjoy the survivors!

Char Randall
Melba, ID
USDA Zone 6