Re: HYB: Other Tough Cultivars

Christian, not all California (or other dry summer) selections have a
hard time with our wet summers, plus they sometimes carry stronger genes
than they show - two examples I'm familiar with are ROMANTIC EVENING and
the much maligned EDITH.  RE produces mostly fairly strong seedlings
here, in spite of barely being able to stay alive itself.  I haven't
used EDITH (trying Betty's pot trick with it this year), but it
certainly has produced offspring that will live here.

But that's not always true - sometimes, the offspring are just as bad or
worse than a parent. If we could see all the siblings, we might be able
to guess which way it would be...

CUP RACE did have a reputation for performing well in our region.

                   <<hmm, speaking of paying attention to the
pedigree.... COTTON  CARNIVAL is a
                   child of CUP RACE.....checklist looks like
California... so...hmmm..

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8