TB: Cult: Rot Question - Thanks!

Thanks everybody for your advice! Even if I lose the 5 infected rhizomes, at least I now know what to look for and what to do when I see it. It always helps to have a plan. So my plan is this:

1) I've scooped out the rotten parts of the rhizomes with a spoon dipped in diluted laundry bleach. On 3 of these rhizomes, there are still increases that don't pull off with a very gentle tug. I scooped out a lot of brown mush. There was a little bit of white fuzz as well. If I'd caught this sooner, I'd probably been able to rescue all five. I will report on whether or not my rescue was successful in about a month or so.

2) This planting season I will bury my rhizomes a little more deeply - maybe about 1/4 - 1/2 inch over the top of rhizome. We do have somewhat loose rocky-pebbly soil here. At least, it's looser than the heavy clay soil of southern Indiana that I grew up with. In fact, the bed where the rot problem was the worst is the one that's the rockiest. Coincidence? I don't know.

3) Next March, I will start weekly checks of my rhizomes. Since the problem seems to start with the central fan, I know what to look for, and I can rescue the increases.

Eastern Mass - Zone 6