Re: TB: Rot Question

--- Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:

<< With a little help from Botrytis it appears that
> DECADENT  lived up to its name here this winter.  >>
> Jeff, was this a 2005 acquisition?  Received mine in
> 2004 and almost  lost it
> last spring. >>

Through an unusual set of circumstances, I received a
collection of recent introductions by Blyth, Ghio, and
Keppel late in the summer of 2004. These rhizomes came
from Keith Keppel's garden and were planted by a
friend of mine in July. Shortly thereafter he was
forced to remove his irises from the ground where he
was growing them, and I offered to grow them for him
in my garden. Thus these rhizomes had to endure the
insult of being replanted twice in just over a month,
and being replanted the second time rather later than
usual for this area (Labor Day). Consequently, they
suffered a rather high incidence of rot (Botrytis)
over their first winter.

 DECADENCE was one that was affected, and I had to
remove a couple of rotted increases from it last
spring (2005). I treated the remainder of the clump as
I usually do in such cases, but left it in place. I
probably should have dug it up later in the season,
disinfected it more thoroughly, and replanted it in
another location, but it was one of those things I
never got around to.

Consequently, when the snow cover finally melted a
week ago I found that DECADENCE had rotted completely
this winter, as had WHO'S YOUR DADDY, another iris in
the same group that had some rot last year. A couple
more also have some rot this spring, but have not been
completely killed. So far, these are the only irises
on which I have detected rot this year, but with our
uncertain "spring" weather there is still a chance for
more of it to crop up elsewhere in the garden before
the temperature gets too warm for Botrytis.

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)