RE: REF: HYB: New RHS colour chart

Dear Ann,
I just bought the new RHS mini colour chart last month. It just came out in January 2006. I contacted RHS and was told by the RHS that the old charts have so many different color variations, that sometimes the only way to tell the difference between some colors was by looking through a microscope. They said that there was way too many color variations and it had gotten way out of control, so they decided to downsize the color chart so people would have an easier time matching the colors. I paid $33.90 US dollars for the chart and shipping/handling. It's alot less money than trying to find and pay for the full version. Hope that this helps.
Susan Boyce

From: Ann Head <jac@labdude.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] REF: HYB: New RHS colour chart
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 23:22:37 +0930

Hi all,
I have been trying for a while to find a satisfactory solution to the problem of identifying colours for registering seedlings. The RHS colour chart is the accepted standard, but at 135 UK pounds + postage, it doesn't come close to being within my budget.

I discovered today that there is a new mini version of the colour chart, which the Royal Horticultural Society has produced in consultation with the Flower Council of Holland. It contains 244 RHS colours, (versus 884 for the full version). I know that having fewer colours may make it even harder to find an accurate match to the seedling colours (I have tried out someone else's full version of the RHS chart), but it costs 25 pounds, vs. 135.

So I just wondered if anyone had experience with the new mini version or if they had an alternative colour chart to recommend.

Ann Head
South Australia

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.