RE: TB: First Flower of 06

Mike,
Oh how I wish I was there to see the irises. We got 6 inches of snow here in Utah yesterday, and all I can see is white. The only good thing about spring snow storms is that the snow melts off real fast.
Susan Boyce

From: "Williams, Michael" <Michael.Williams@hgtc.edu>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Subject: RE: [iris] TB: First Flower of 06
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:05:37 -0400

Hello,
Believe it or not, I saw a huge clump of TBs in full bloom in late
February at another campus of the College where I am employed, and I was
stunned. I started to post to the group to ask what to make of that. The
bed is on the side of a very large building, and so I suppose that to a
great extent those plants were somewhat shielded from the wind (and I
suppose that the building itself might have given off some heat). I did
find it truly incredible. We had a regular string of high 20 degree lows
during that period.

Here on my campus, three clumps of Celebration Song have had numerous
stalks since about a week and a half ago. Our local congressman's office
has a long bed which has been ablaze with TBs since March 23rd.

My first bloom last year was April 14th.

Mike Williams
SC Zone 8