HYB: New Hybridizing

I may try my hand at making a few crosses after all. I'm not at all intimidated at doing this. In many ways, I'm the ideal candidate: I took a class in plant breeding, and I've worked in genetics & related areas for the past 10 years.

For me at least, intimidation is not the issue. It's mainly space, and to a lesser extent, time. The only way we could afford a place with a lot of space is if we moved far away from the city, but we'd have 2 hour one-way commute times. I could move back to the rural Indiana town where my parents live, but there aren't any job opportunities there. (Plus, I hate that place.)

Really, for our generation, we're the relatively lucky ones. We make better than average incomes. A lot of people our age move into condos & townhouses because that's all they can afford - if they can afford anything at all. Plus, a lot of people aren't interested in gardening let alone irises. Even people who can afford a house like to have professionals do all the yard-work. And, unless it's something that they really, really love, a lot of people just don't have time for gardening given all the other demands on time.

Eastern Mass, Zone 6