Re: Re: HYB: New Hybridizing

Linda Mann wrote:

 >I am not sure, but I <think> that dew soaked anthers do not have viable

I remember reading somewhere that iris pollen grains explode when
they come into contact with moisture.  Once exploded, they are no
longer viable.  So storing pollen somewhere cool and dry until you
are ready to use it is definitely the way to go.  I find fresh pollen
(up to 3 days old) works best.

The bloom you are putting the pollen on should have opened that
day.  I have tried in the past to pollinate blooms that opened the
previous day, but still had a moist-looking stigmatic lip.  In this
climate, those crosses never take.
It is usually too late by late afternoon, unless the bloom is just opening.

Ann Head

South Australia
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.