Re: HYB: New Hybridizing

In a message dated 4/11/2006 2:55:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jac@labdude.com writes:

<<I have tried in the past to pollinate blooms that opened the
previous day, but still had a moist-looking stigmatic lip.  In this
climate, those crosses never take. It is usually too late by late  afternoon,
unless the bloom is just opening.>>
I rarely put pollen on an old bloom, but on those rare occasions I've had
some success.  Always make a note in the notebook just to check.  Not  the
preferred way to go, and it does lower my chance of a take.  Our  climate is so
variable.

On occasion I get pollen from the iris show (somewhere) and then come home
to find the bloom I want to put it on is less than perfect.  I usually  chance
it anyway.  Now, I have mature clumps again, this should not be as  much of a
problem for me.  (more stalks!)

Jan is right about moistening the stigmatic lip.  I'd forgotten the  lively
conversation that went with the discussion!  If time and memory  cooperate at
the same time, I'll go back and (re)read it in the  archives. <vbg> Just for
the fun of it!

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: