HYB: New Hybridizing:pollen

In a message dated 4/11/2006 5:16:45 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<<I hope our experiences in different climates and growing  conditions
encourage new hybridizers to keep trying if they don't have  success the
first year.>>
Since this thread is mainly for new hybridizers, I'd like to mention the
fickle nature of SOME plants when it comes to producing viable pollen.
Some irises will only produce pollen on some blooms, on some plants,   or
during some years!
In addition to all the things previously mentioned, there are several  things
that can affect the production of pollen by the plant . . . late freeze,
missing nutrients, etc.  If you want to use the pollen of a given plant  just
keep checking the blooms!  It could show up with each new bloom.
Some 20 years ago, I wanted to use INFERNO in my rebloom red line.  It  took
me three years to find good pollen, but it has definitiely been worth the
effort.  I made a cross with LIME FIZZ  that I wanted to remake,  but after about
four years of checking for pollen I eventually forgot about  it.  (early
In most parts of the country, IMMORTALITY only produces good pollen on very
rare occasions.  JENNIFER REBECCA is renown for being sterile, yet there  are
some children.  ROMANTIC EVENING rarely sets pods, yet is the pod  parent of
VISITING ROYALTY.  It takes persistence and a little  bit of luck.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: