Re: HYB: transplant success

In a message dated 4/12/2006 9:24:17 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<<By "few roots", I mean those that have almost no roots at all  compared to
their sibs.  Abnormally few.  Some crosses are too  variable to tell, but
some are obviously not doing well.  Now that I  think to look! >>
Linda, there are some seedlings that only have one root . . . similar to a
tap root when I transplant.  It would be interesting to see if these  continue
on to be the seedlings that show a
'failure to grow.'  If I can remember, I will group these this year  and
chart their progress.  The more we can predict from seedling stage . .  . the
better.  But at this point, I'm not throwing anything away.
Some of my earliest seedlings (Chinese New Year x Theme Master) X Snow  Melt)
(SM=Mike Sutton) are growing so fast that I will probably transplant them  by
May 1.  Germination rate was among the highest this year at  approximately
86%.  I'm going to have 50+ seedlings on this  one. Another was 100% (9/9) but
we won't count it!
From the 1900 series (2004-planted May and June of 2005) I'm seeing a good
percentage of first year stalks on the plicata and red seedling crosses.   Same
on second year seedlings from the 1800 series planted at the same  time.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: