Re: HYB: successes & failures

In a message dated 4/14/2006 3:31:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<<Anybody else have observations about their seedling  successes/failures
they'd be willing to share?>>
I'm sooooooo excited, and I just can't hide it!  I know, I know . . .
they're just stalks and buds!  But I'm still excited!

All the seedlings that I planted late have stalks.  Almost  all.  Well, the
ones that made it to the garden anyway!  Planted in  mid-May (figured some of
these might make it) and mid-June.  Nothing was  pushed due to heat and health.
 Just made sure they got enough water to  stay alive!  Don't know what all
this heat (93 today on the highway) is  going to do to the stalks and branching
. . .but I'll get to see blooms.

My BLATANT X ALL REVVED UP (2006) cross was a bit of a throw away  cross.
Did it to see if I could pull the plicata out of BLATANT.   Still don't know but
several are showing mauve in the bud!  I'll try to  remember to give some
'bed' shots so everyone can get some idea of how the  sibling from various
crosses compare.  Fun!  Fun!  Fun!

Lots of stalks in 1912 (LEMON REFLECTION X NEXT MILLENNIUM) .   Nearly all of
1915 (RADIANT BLISS X CHATTER) have stalks.

Spent several hours this morning petting weeds in the iris beds.   Found
something that is working well for me.  Have one of those garden  benches
(kneeler--only I can't kneel) that I'm moving up and down the  rows.  I'm using
roundup.  Mix in tank, pour into new plastic coffee  cans (Folgers) and use a 'trim'
roller (paint) to apply the roundup between  the plants.  I have a bigger
roller for the middles but didn't buy a long  enough handle.  Pain.

Had to quit when the heat started giving me a headache.  Around  noon.  Hope
we get a break on this heat.  Without a tornado!

Some of my new seedlings (just the ones that were an inch tall or less)  were
damaged in this last heavy frost.  Don't know if they will pull out of  it.
Mainly 1900 series (2004) that sprouted this spring.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: