Re: HYB: successes & failures

well, of the sixty seedlings I lined out in our Feb-Mar warm spell I thought I had lost about ten, maybe fifteen (They're hard to count when the leaves just shrivel up like that!)  But y'other day I noticed that at least two of them had poked one new leaf up out of the shriveled mess.  I'm going to have to go count better but I've been very busy with practicing for Easter this week.

  Christian
  ky

Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net> wrote:
  Limited numbers of crosses for everything, but for what it's worth -

Jeff, ROMANTIC EVENING doesn't seem to have enough strength to
compensate for hidden shortcomings in our frost proof NOID NOT cherry
smoke, but 12 seedlings have survived so far, and it looks like at least
a few will be survivors.

Mary Lou - the BONUS MAMA X CELEBRATION SONG seedlings have surprised me
- much stronger than I was expecting, and good germination. Should be
quite a few survivors.

ALPENVIEW seedlings dropped dead at a high rate when hit with high
temperatures (>80oF soil temperature). Two crosses, one didn't surprise
me too much, the other was with a really strong partner. Probably would
do fine in drier climate. And the survivors from these crosses may be
really nice, so no complaints. Just sharing info.

Biggest surprise has been a couple? of different crosses from SAVANNAH
SUNSET - it's been rot prone and ratty here, but produced a huge crop of
healthy seedlings. I used the pollen before I realized how poor a
grower it was - otherwise would never have tried it.

Seedlings from a couple of SHARPSHOOTER crosses either died or are
looking really strong. Some healthy genes there.

Too soon to see if this really is true, but it like the stalks
on rebloom (mostly IMM or descendants) X Schreiner cultivars are not as
spindly as those from other types of crosses. In an ordinary (?) year,
I might not notice.

BOTTLED SUNSHINE is a wonderful clump, just starting to open. Tallest
stalk is nearly usual TB height here.

Anybody else have observations about their seedling successes/failures
they'd be willing to share?
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society