HYB: Seedling Madness

Hello, Everyone,

I sympathize with Betty's happy iris madness.  Right now I have around
two hundred seedlings blooming.  I have to decide which to keep, which
to dig.  It's enough to drive my out of my mind, and I guess it has
because I'm up at six every morning putting pollen on more iries to get
more seedlings.  I started digging a few the other day, carried out a
blooming stalk, and started crying to myself, "It's as pretty as
Happenstance.  It has more buds.  Why did I ever dig this one?"  How am
I ever going to get rid of 95% of those things when they are all
beautiful to me?

We have had very nice weather the past week.  Weatherman's prediction of
90+ degrees has gone the same way as their winter long prediction of
rain.  I'm hoping (afraid?) that most of my pollen daubing may be
taking.  Saturday I made the most important cross of the year, one I
have been trying for for three years, Pond Lily X Purple Pirouette.  I
had two that bloomed from that cross four years ago, and both were
wonderful to me.  One, a light purple with excellent form, I still have.
The other, a spectacular pink/magenta bitone, had specks on its velvet
falls that made me get rid of it.  Oh how I want to see more from that
cross!  This is the first year since that PP has had any pollen.  It was
very hard and dry, but I have done my best and hope for the rest.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9