Re: HYB: seedlings

Thanks Neil - I'm starting to get a feel for variations from first bloom
to later ones.  One of the "advantages" to working with a lot of older
irises and some of the rebloomer lines is that the seedlings can be
pretty awful.  Or I guess I should say pretty far from the intended goal
<g>  Makes it easy to get rid of a lot of them.

The one thing that doesn't seem to change much is petal width and
shape.  Color hasn't varied much for most of my seedlings so far.

Bud count and individual bloom size may vary a <lot> from one year to
the next, depending on weather, & while one of my goals is less
sensitivity to weather, I have a <long> ways to go to reach that one.
But not as far to go as a lot of the store boughts here <g>

Biggest disappointments so far have been seedlings that maiden bloom in
the fall, when they are experiencing cooling temperatures compared to
spring bloom where weather is getting hotter and drier and late freeze
damage shows up.  Much more stressed in spring bloom.

<  If all else looks good, low bud count can exaggerate form and
substance, as
                   more energy, nutrition went into fewer blossoms than
you will see in the
                   future.  >
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8