Re: CULT:freeze damage

  • Subject: Re: [iris]CULT:freeze damage
  • From: "Linda Harrington" LHarrington@wbltd.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:44:33 -0500

Thank you for letting me know that's what the problem is. We had a very
hard freeze after having a fairly mild winter with an early spring.  I
ended up with several of these and didn't know (but did suspect) what
the problem was.
Linda Harrington
Midland TX
Zone 7b / 8a

<As more and more blooms open, I've seen a larger number of freeze
blooms.  It's usually just the terminal or more advanced  blooms.   Have
seen a
few 'blasted' sockets.  For the newer  members . . . blasted (my
maybe) is when there is a spath on the  end of the stalk or branch with
nothing in it.  Just empty.  A fairly  common thing when a hard freeze
hits at the
wrong stage of development.  >